Sunday, September 19, 2010

Discipline Diary

September has been a stressful month at school, and it's the first time I've had to juggle my academic life with my less-vanilla, online life. I realize, of course, that academics need to be my first priority. Senior year would be a bad time to start slacking!

But doing spanking blogs and videos is something I enjoy a lot, and don't want to give up. With all of that in mind, I decided to ask Danny for some help in managing my time and keeping me motivated so that I can get everything done without having to give things up. We decided that I would start keeping track of this through a discipline diary.

I've already blogged about the various types of spankings that exist, and discipline is a big one. I've heard a lot of people say that spanking can't be used to effectively discipline a spanko, because they enjoy it too much. I think there is some truth to that, but I don't completely agree.

For me, knowing that someone is keeping track of what I do and holding me accountable to the goals I set for myself is both comforting and helpful. I can tell myself that I will get my essay done by Friday, but then easily make an excuse and give myself too much slack. If someone else knows what I need to be doing, I'm more likely to get it done. Exercising regularly is easier if you do it with a friend, and I see this in much the same way. If I don't follow the rules I've laid out, there is an added element of guilt because I am disappointing myself.

I had already been given a few rules by my friend Malignus, and I told Danny everything I wanted to focus on for this semester specifically. Together, we made 5 rules that I will be held accountable for:

1. 5 minutes or more playing guitar, 4 days a week.

2. 1 hour of productive school-related work every day.

3. 1 blog entry per week, and 1 hour of maintenance / replies to blog comments.

4. Once a week, log in to both bank accounts, review card activity, pay bills if necessary.

5. 6 meals per week must be made at home.

I'm happy with this list because the rules are not too overwhelming, and they cover some basic problems I've been having with procrastination and time management. Number one is there because I've wanted to play guitar (I used to play the violin) for a long time and have trouble remembering to practice. The others are pretty self explanatory. So now that I've posted them here, more people can help to keep me accountable!

Danny has said that he will check in once a week and I will keep track of things in a journal. If I'm not doing so well, you can probably guess what happens. We'll see if it helps. :-)

Have any of you tried something similar to this, and has it been effective? I hope everyone's weekend was great. Danny and I went to a small, local spanking party Friday night, and it was a lot of fun catching up with a few Shadow Laners and getting to play. Back to school tomorrow!

6 comments:

  1. Hey, I'm proud of you! We've made a good set of rules for you, I think, and I'm sure it will help. I think it's helping already!

    Your D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been in a couple of disciplinary relationships where accountability for similar sorts of rules were part of it, and yes, it's been quite effective. The important thing - which you and Danny have hit on - is that the rules need to be attainable and measurable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Danny-
    I think so, too!

    Chris-
    Yes, if the rules were too overwhelming, it would be like adding another stressful task to my to-do list. Thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. One blog entry per week -- so we can expect one on Sunday. Do you take requests? Can you tell us about the first shoot at the new AEG studio, and how you wound up in the French Maid costume, picking out a switch, in the photo Michael Masterson today shared with us?

    I hope you are doing well with your new rules. I've never understood DD; some people use it for genuine self-improvement, others as a game to generate excuses for spankings. Your list seems realistic; an hour a day of school work may not be enough (so it's certainly not excessive!), and if you eat breakfast (and if you don't, you should!), 6 meals at home also seems minimal. And I like that there's one "fun" item on the list; it encourages you to make time for something (guitar) that you WANT to do (as distinguished from chores like paying bills that you NEED to do) but have not been finding time for.

    Oh, and if you want a laugh, look at my posts on the WSF today, specifically the exchange between Michael Masterson and me about real versus scene names (the "Question" thread, toward the end), but also on the "New Studio" thread.

    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, I just started a spanking diary to keep track of punishments and came across yours - hope ya dont mind if i "follow." Seems like a nice read :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Michael-
    I enjoyed reading the back and forth between you and Mr. M! And I will definitely try and fit in some information about my shoot with RS, but it may not be all in this next post. I do like requests for blog topics, though, so keep 'em coming. :-)

    Cheeky Brat-
    I would love to have you as a "follower"! I hope things are going well with your diary, I've found it's harder to keep track of things than I initially thought.

    ReplyDelete