Tuesday, August 17, 2010

All Sorts of Spanking


I've had a lot of discussions with fellow spankos about the different kinds of spankings that exist. When I first became involved in the scene, it seemed to me that it was fairly straightforward; spankings were either for punishment or for fun. As I explored further, however, I realized that is hardly the case!

When broken down, it seems as though there could be hundreds of different types of spankings. Different impetuses, styles, dynamics, and severity all come into play. My good friend Malignus started a group on Fetlife called All Sorts of Spanking, in which he discusses the types of spankings he has encountered throughout the years. The list includes ageplay, arbitrary, calming, chastisement, demonstrative, erotic, fun, mandatory, maintenance, milestone, motivational, preventive, reaffirmative, reminder, roleplay, romantic, sensual, special occasion, therapeutic, and threshold. Say that three times fast!

While a lot of these may overlap in some ways, I think there is a lot of truth to the fact that spanking can be quite diverse, and that's what makes it so versatile and exciting. I've heard some kinksters in the BDSM community say that spankos are very specific, and picky about what they like. That may be true, but we do like our variety too! I can get equal joy and fulfillment out of a therapeutic punishment spanking, a light hearted birthday spanking, or quick reminding slaps to the bottom throughout the day. I love arbitrary spankings too, because who needs a real reason to give or get a good spanking, anyway? I mean, I am breathing and blinking, and those are certainly spankable offenses. :-)

What are your favorite, or most commonly practiced types of spanking? Are there certain kinds that you haven't yet experienced, but are on your spanko to-do list?

Also, Part 2 of my RSI scene is now out. In it, Danny gives me a hard strapping and then puts me in timeout to think about my behavior. This was a hard one to take, and my reactions were very genuine, let me assure you! Take a look. :-)

7 comments:

  1. Excellent post. I remember setting "breathing" as a spankable offense with you back in the day. Thanks for the links. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great list Malignus came up with. I hadn't thought the types through in all those terms before.

    When I think of spanking, I tend to gravitate towards discipline and punishment, and under those categories, the circumstances dictate the reason. Motivational and chastisement would be the most common used, and with motivation needed because of failure. Maintenance, reminder, mandatory, and preventive reasons for spanking don't work real well for me. There's something contrived about them that falls flat with respect to my kink.

    Ageplay can be erotic, because I like when a woman can get in touch with her inner child, so to speak. Some roleplays work in a similar way. I enjoy erotic, sensual, romantic, threshold, and fun---by far the most common where I live. "Birthday spanking" I find trivial but fun. Therapeutic types---calming, reaffirming, or any spanking that is given to provide emotional relief or release is very fulfilling for me when it's fulfilling for her.

    Another way I think of spanking is to attempt to elicit certain exciting aspects of the situation or relationship. Physical sensation, vulnerability, and punishment are main ingredients to make intriguing rituals. The reason for spanking is to experience certain feelings and emotions. There's a universe for exploration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do I have a favorite? Hard to say.

    Spankings for fun are probably my favorite, but that can cover a lot of ground. "For fun" doesn't necessarily mean "fun", or rather, not necessarily light-hearted. A serious spanking given because both parties want that would still be "for fun". Ultimately, that mutual desire is what I like.

    Punishment for real reasons is one I have a hard time saying I enjoy, and yet I very much enjoy the punishment dynamic. The trust involved is what does it for me. I don't particularly enjoy giving a true punishment spanking, but I enjoy the fact that she trusts me to take on that role for her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like the list and can see differences in each one. It is tough to pick a single favorite. So much depends on mood and the dynamic involved. Going to a party and having fun, visiting with friends and enjoying spanking play... that's a good time and hard to beat. An erotic spanking has it's own kind of fun. Would say there is erotic, sensual and sexual spankings too... all of which are different. Then there is discipline, which offers a different kind of reward... and it's what got most spankos (including us) on this journey. Hard to say the actual spanking is a "favorite" though (it's more the things a discipline spanking does before and after that works).

    We enjoy all types of spankings... and/or see that they have a place. If push comes to shove though, we'd probably go with... a roleplay spanking that mixes discipline and erotic... lol, which is like 3 or 4 spankings put together. Basically though a spanking that has a scolding and all the buzz words that work, it touches on discipline sounding themes but isn't for a real reason... there is a firm spanking, not playful... that then drifts towards the erotic. Sort of a ... 'what is this, young lady? this is a discipline spanking and it appears that you are excited..." Can see where that might go... lol. Not for everyone, but it's probably our "favorite."

    Like we said though, all the different types of spankings have a place... and we wouldn't give up any of them.

    Fun question!
    :)
    ~Todd and Suzy
    americanspankingsociety.com

    ps
    giving naughty young ladies that DONT keep in touch might become our new favorite kind of spanking real-real soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Regarding the RSI scene, I'd have to disagree that that is a "large" strap (as the RSI described it). To me, large (applied to straps) usually means wide, and that strap is narrow, and looks rather thick, both of which make it more severe. I bet it was quite ouchy. The photo is lovely; you look really good.

    As for the question, these categories confuse me. Are we discussing surface appearance, or underlying motivation? Most of my experience is with erotic and fun (including special occasion; and, some fun spankings have been slightly therapeutic); some roleplay of motivational or chastisement, but roleplaying chastisement was fun too. Coming to think of it, the underlying motivation has always been fun. If there's a category I'd like to increase, it's arbitrary. I'd love to be in a relationship where I could just grab my spankee and give her some swats for no reason in particular. But it'd still be fun!

    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  6. Malignus-
    There were very few things that weren't a spankable offense, if I remember correctly! You're very welcome; thanks for the topic inspiration.

    Brett-
    Nice explanation of the types related specifically to your kink. It always amazes me how different spankos can be in their likes. And I very much agree with you about brining out emotions to enhance the relationship within the dynamic. Punishment can usually do that well for me.

    Chris-
    I have heard many Spankers agree with this. While actual punishment is not always enjoyable (unless you're a true sadist), the dynamic associated with it can be very appealing. Often, then, it can turn into a fun punishment. I find that I like the serious aspect if in the right headspace, but fun has its place as well!

    Todd and Suzy-
    I remember discussing types of spankings with you when we first started conversing, and I think all of us can agree that we find some sort of pleasure in most!

    Michael-
    Thank you, and you're right, the strap was smaller and definitely full of sting. I enjoy that over thuddy wood, though. Yes, arbitrary swats are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh this is very interesting, it's given me lots to think about. Too much to discuss in one comment though, so I will bear it in mind and write up my thoughts on my blog soon (as long as you don't mind!). Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete